Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Lit circle 'the Giver' Reflection 2 (#3)

This blog post is going to be another one about the past literature circles we have done and also about the book ‘the Giver’. Today I am going to write my thoughts about this passage in the book:

" Gabriel's breathing was even and deep. Jonas liked having him there, though he felt guilty about the secret. Each night he gave memories to Gabriel: memories of boat rides and picnics in the sun; memories of soft rainfall against windowpanes; memories of dancing bare-footed on a damp lawn.

"Gabe?"

The new child stirred slightly in his sleep, Jonas looked over at him.

"There could be love" Jonas whispered.

The next morning, for the first time, Jonas did not take his pill. Something within him, something that had grown there through the memories, told him to throw the pill away"

I think this is a passage where Jonas is thinking about freedom and what there COULD be in his ‘utopia’ (perfect) community. He has experienced memories that have made him feel warm and good inside, but also bad ones that he hated. One memory was of a family that was sitting together at Christmas. He felt the loving and caring feelings for each other between the family members and that made him feel like he has missed something all along. His family unit parents told him afterwards that ‘love’ was a useless word and told him to correct his language use. I think he also discovered that he felt love for Fiona in his ‘stirring dreams’, which made him stop the pill. He wanted the feeling of love because it made him feel warm and cared for, and in his family unit he couldn’t find or get it.

This passage is important because I think this made him feel that he wasn’t loved in his family unit or community, even though his family unit parents told him they enjoyed him company and they were proud of his goals and achievements. My reason for this is because from the book I recognized the nice memories in my own family and I can not imagine not having that. The stirring dreams also supported the feeling of love, and I think that's why the community even ban those dreams because they want sameness. However, I think the 'sameness' is horrible. There are no feelings or disagreements. They think it's unsafe for people to chose something themselves. They can't even see colours! I really don't think this is Utopia! Utopia is supposed to be a perfect place, but for me, this world is better than that world.

Thanks for reading my blog ;]


No comments:

Post a Comment